Patriot Boot Camp
CFEE proudly hosted the 2nd Annual Patriot Boot Camp, a three-day entrepreneurship and small business workshop for veterans. Together with well-known accelerator TechStars, CFEE welcomed nearly 100 veterans and service members on July 17-19, 2013, at the GW School of Business.
Gen. George Casey addresses participants on Day 1.
Please view the full schedule here to review the speakers and events that took place each day. Notable guests and receptions included (but certainly were not limited to):
- Distinguished guests:
- General George Casey
- Vice Admiral Melvin Williams
- Michele Markey, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
- Steve Blank, serial entrepreneur
- Representative Jared Polis (CO)
- Senator Tim Kaine (VA)
- Peter Levin, former CTO, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Reception and dinner at Opower
- Customized, one-on-one mentor sessions
- Reception and dinner at 1776
- Demo Fair to showcase participants' ideas and ventures
Videos of participants' pitches on Demo Day will be posted on the TechStars Patriot Boot Camp page.
Patriot Boot Camp consists of three modules over the course of three days:
- Wednesday, July 17: Education Day. Entrepreneurs, businessmen and -women, TechStars mentors and alumni, and more will give presentations on how to launch startups, refining and improving their venture idea, and on several other entrepreneurial topics
- Thursday, July 18: Mentor Day. Entrepreneurial leaders, scholars, technology industry founders, and more will serve as mentors during one-on-one sessions with veterans and service members. After the conclusion of the afternoon mentoring session, CFEE and GWU will host a reception in the City View room of the Elliott School of International Affairs for the participants.
- Friday, July 19: Demo Day. Veterans and service members will be given the opportunity to present their ideas and ventures while also networking and possibly discovering potential partners and cofounders. This demo will create a forum for feedback to aid in these veterans' progression and forward path.
Follow the action on Twitter with #techstarspbc, @gwuCFEE, and @techstars.